Friday, June 27, 2008

Knitting Stitches

I learned how to knit from several different sources. As a result, the different stitches I know come down from different traditional methods of knitting. I first learned how to knit from my Mom for a 5th grade play where I was supposed to be a colonial house wife (ha) and I needed something to do on stage. The only thing my Mom taught me to do was the knit stitch. I learned how to purl in 7th grade from my dean who was this little old English woman. Seems that my Mom taught me to knit what is called the German (or Continental) Method and I learned how to purl the English (or Throw) Method. I always thought it was kind of strange that these two very different motions resulted in the same stitch.

Anyways, I've been working stockinette on the previously mentioned Green vest/sweater and I started to hate how much longer the purl rows took. My computer and internet were down for a couple of days so I just sort of worked out a way of knitting that mimicked the motions of a knitting machine. Now, with access to the internet, I know this is called Knitting Back. Its really cool because you never have to turn the knitting around, you simply switch which hand is controlling the yarn. So knitting is going a bit slow as I still get used to this new method.

Care to know what I am talking about?
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch

No comments: